Consultant radiologist opinion
Available for self-pay or insured
No referral required
Inflammation and signs of inflammation
Signs of cancer
1. What is a Male Health Ultrasound check?
A male health ultrasound check is the examination of several different internal organs. Different parts of the body are scanned and brought together to create a comprehensive ultrasound assessment which enables the early detection of different health conditions before they develop to become an issue. The check includes scanning of the following:
– Abdominal aorta
– Urinary bladder
2. Chest ultrasound: Conditions, symptoms and when to see a doctor
An ultrasound is a commonly used medical examination to check for the presence of health problems in the body. It is safe, pain free and reliable with immediate results.
3. Male Health ultrasound check: What happens at the appointment?
Your appointment will last for 30-45 minutes. Here is what happens at your appointment:
1. Once you arrive, you’ll be asked asked to change in to a medical gown (if required) and remove any clothing from the areas of examination as well as jewellery, accessories and other objects which may interfere with the ultrasound.
2. You’ll be asked to lie flat on your back on an examination table. Your doctor will then apply a water based gel to the areas of examination. The gel works alongside a handheld scanning device to create images by helping sound waves pass through the body more efficiently.
3. To begin the examination, a handheld scanning device (the ultrasound transducer head which sends high frequency sound waves into the body and picks up responding signals), will be pressed against your skin in the area of examination, moving back and forth whilst applying mild to medium pressure in order to get clear images which will be visible in real-time on a display screen for your doctor. The
procedure does not cause any discomfort.
4. Once your doctor is satisfied with the quantity and quality of images, you’ll be given tissue to wipe the gel off your skin, you can then get dressed.
5. Your doctor will discuss the results of the comprehensive ultrasound scan with you. A specialist consultant radiologist will review and assess your scan results and provide a comprehensive medical report for you and your doctor.
Following the examination the images are processed and reviewed by a Consultant Radiologist who will provide your doctor with a report. We endeavour to give both you and your GP access to your results on the same day of your scan.
You can expect the scan to last between 20-30 minutes. Please give yourself plenty of time for your appointment.
As the scan is non-invasive and non-surgical there is no aftercare or recovery requirements so you can go home immediately after your appointment.
Male Health ultrasound check: Preparation for the appointment
We recommend drinking approximately 4-6 glasses of water about an hour before your appointment so your bladder is sufficiently full in preparation for the ultrasound examination.