Consultant radiologist opinion
Available for self-pay or insured
No referral required
Length of the thigh bone
Your baby’s internal organs
1. What is a 4D Growth Ultrasound scan?
A 4D growth ultrasound scan is an examination performed from 24 to 32 weeks of pregnancy to assess the growth and development of your baby and his or her organs. During this stage of pregnancy, we’re able to obtain a reconstructed picture of your baby giving you the opportunity to see your baby’s facial and hand and feet appearances.
An ultrasound scan is reassuring as it is pain free and safe (no radiation is used). This scan assesses the following for an estimate birth weight:
– Head circumference
– Abdominal circumference
– The length of the thigh bone (femur)
– Your baby’s internal organs (see below for the full list)
Brain and head
Arms and legs
The other assessments of this scan includes:
– Your baby’s position and movements
– The position of the placenta
– The amount of amniotic fluid surrounding your baby
2. 4D Growth Ultrasound scan: What happens at my appointment?
This is a pain free examination which lasts for no more than 30 minutes. Here is what happens at your
1. Once you arrive, you’ll be asked to change in to a medical gown (if required) and to remove clothing from your abdomen and pelvic area as well as any jewellery, accessories and other objects which may interfere with the ultrasound examination.
2. You’ll be required to lie flat on your back, the doctor will then apply a water based gel on your abdomen and pelvic area. The gel works alongside a handheld scanning device to create images by helping sound waves pass through the body more efficiently.
3. An ultrasound transducer* head will be pressed against the areas of assessment using gentle pressure in order to get clear images which will be visible in real-time on a display screen for your doctor. * The ultrasound transducer head which sends high frequency sound waves into the body and picks up responding signals.
4. Once your doctor is satisfied with the quantity and quality of images, the gel will be wiped off your skin, you can then get dressed. You may empty your bladder if required, as the examination part is complete.
5. The doctor will discuss the results of the scan with you and provide you with a copy to take home.
Following the examination the images are processed and reviewed by a Consultant Radiologist who will provide your doctor with a report. We endeavour to give both you and your GP access to your results on the same day of your scan.
You can expect the scan to last between 20-30 minutes. Please give yourself plenty of time for your appointment.
As the scan is non-invasive and non-surgical there is no aftercare or recovery requirements so you can go home immediately after your appointment.
3. 4D Growth Ultrasound scan: Preparation for the appointment
No preparation is required for this ultrasound examination.